Posts Tagged ‘OCS Front-End service stopped with service specific error’

Office Communications Server Front-End Fails to Start After Windows Update

October 15, 2009

After applying Windows Updates to My OCS 2007 R2 front-end server today I noticed that my communicator had failed to sign to me back in.  So I logged onto the front end server and to make sure all the services had restarted.  Looking at the services I noticed that the Office Communications Server Front-End had failed to start, so obviously I tried to restart it however again it failed to start.  A quick look in the event log showed the following error

“OCS Front-End service stopped with service specific error 3286842403 (0xC3E93C23)”

error

Did a search on google and came across another blog posting on the same topic which claimed that one of the Windows Updates that had just came down was the culprit (KB974571).   So I uninstalled the update and the gave the server a reboot and hey presto the service restarts and I can login to communicator!!!

Good old Microsoft hey…. Nothing like releasing a bug in a Windows update that breaks a critical product!!!