Archive for the ‘Windows’ Category

Failed to read the Office Communicator Server version information

December 8, 2009

While trying to deploy an Edge Access Server for my OCS 2007 R2 deployment today I received the error message in the subject of this post.  Having installed the required files for the Edge Server, I then proceeded to Activate the server from the deployment wizard.  After selecting a service account I completed the wizard only to be presented with the following message.

when I then looked the log that has been generate I saw following error message

I couldn’t understand why I was getting this message as I knew that the time and date were set correctly on the server.  So a quick google search led me to a post where someone was having the same error.  Thankfully a response had also been posted which implied that security update KB974571 was to blame.  I checked the updates installed on the edge server and sure enough this update was in the list.  Following a link contained in the post http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974571 led to a downloadable fix http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=168248 which i’m glad to say worked.

 

Office Communications Server Front-End Fails to Start After Windows Update

October 15, 2009

After applying Windows Updates to My OCS 2007 R2 front-end server today I noticed that my communicator had failed to sign to me back in.  So I logged onto the front end server and to make sure all the services had restarted.  Looking at the services I noticed that the Office Communications Server Front-End had failed to start, so obviously I tried to restart it however again it failed to start.  A quick look in the event log showed the following error

“OCS Front-End service stopped with service specific error 3286842403 (0xC3E93C23)”

error

Did a search on google and came across another blog posting on the same topic which claimed that one of the Windows Updates that had just came down was the culprit (KB974571).   So I uninstalled the update and the gave the server a reboot and hey presto the service restarts and I can login to communicator!!!

Good old Microsoft hey…. Nothing like releasing a bug in a Windows update that breaks a critical product!!!

Killing a Windows Service That hangs on Stopping

October 2, 2009

Today I needed to restart the remote loader service running on Active Directory for Identity manager as the sync had stopped working.  However when I clicked the stop the service just hung in a ‘stopping’ state.  Now as this is running on a domain controller I didn’t really want to reboot the machine to kill the service off, so a quick google and I came across this solution:

1. Open a command prompt and query the service (in this case dirXMLRemote) by using the sc command

sc queryex dirXMLRemote

2. This will give you the following information:

SERVICE_NAME: DirXMLRemote 8002
        TYPE               : 110  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS  (interactive)
        STATE              : 3  STOP_PENDING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
        PID                : 5172
        FLAGS              :

3. Here you can find the process identifier (PID), so then you can kill the associated process by using the taskkill command.

taskkill /PID 5172 /F