Archive for October, 2009

Extracting Activesync Logs from Exchange 2007

October 29, 2009

Had to try and troubleshoot an ActiveSync connectivity problem as I discovered though there is  no GUI mechanism that analyzes ActiveSync logs, so you I  had to use the Exchange Management Shell and the Export-ActiveSyncLog cmdlet to export the data.

To do so, you need to know the date that the desired data was collected, and the path to which you want to dump the extracted data. For example, suppose that you wanted to extract data that was collected on October 29 2009 and move it to a folder called C:\Logs. In this situation, you would use the following command:

Export-ActiveSyncLog -FileName:’C:\Inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1\u_ex091029.log -UseGMT:$true -OutputPath C:\aslogs\(this was run on windows 2008)

powershell

This file name is based on the date chosen, which is entered in YYMMDD format. Exchange Server will then create six csv files in the target directory. The first CSV file that Exchange Server creates is Users.csv. This file logs user activity.

User-Agents.csv is the second CSV file that Exchange Server 2007 creates. This file logs activity according to device type. 

The Servers.csv file reports ActiveSync-related activity on a mailbox server-by-mailbox server basis. 

The PolicyCompliance.csv file reports on how well various wireless devices comply with established ActiveSync mailbox policies. 

The StatusCodes.csv file contains various undocumented codes designed for use by Microsoft technical support staff

Office Communications Server Front-End Fails to Start After Windows Update

October 15, 2009

After applying Windows Updates to My OCS 2007 R2 front-end server today I noticed that my communicator had failed to sign to me back in.  So I logged onto the front end server and to make sure all the services had restarted.  Looking at the services I noticed that the Office Communications Server Front-End had failed to start, so obviously I tried to restart it however again it failed to start.  A quick look in the event log showed the following error

“OCS Front-End service stopped with service specific error 3286842403 (0xC3E93C23)”

error

Did a search on google and came across another blog posting on the same topic which claimed that one of the Windows Updates that had just came down was the culprit (KB974571).   So I uninstalled the update and the gave the server a reboot and hey presto the service restarts and I can login to communicator!!!

Good old Microsoft hey…. Nothing like releasing a bug in a Windows update that breaks a critical product!!!

Killing a Windows Service That hangs on Stopping

October 2, 2009

Today I needed to restart the remote loader service running on Active Directory for Identity manager as the sync had stopped working.  However when I clicked the stop the service just hung in a ‘stopping’ state.  Now as this is running on a domain controller I didn’t really want to reboot the machine to kill the service off, so a quick google and I came across this solution:

1. Open a command prompt and query the service (in this case dirXMLRemote) by using the sc command

sc queryex dirXMLRemote

2. This will give you the following information:

SERVICE_NAME: DirXMLRemote 8002
        TYPE               : 110  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS  (interactive)
        STATE              : 3  STOP_PENDING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
        PID                : 5172
        FLAGS              :

3. Here you can find the process identifier (PID), so then you can kill the associated process by using the taskkill command.

taskkill /PID 5172 /F